The Malta Stock Exchange, originally known as the Casino della Borsa, became a reality upon enactment of the Malta Stock Exchange Act in 1990, and commenced its trading operations on 8 January 1992.
Today the Exchange is a fully-fledged regulated market which is key to the raising of capital finance for the private sector through the issue of corporate bonds and equity.
The Exchange carries out this role by providing a structure for admission of financial instruments to its recognised lists which may subsequently be traded on a regulated, transparent and orderly market place (secondary market). The main participants in the market are Issuers, Stock Exchange Members (stockbrokers), and the investors in general.
The investor base consists of over 75,000 individual investors, which is a significant number given Malta’s economic size and population.
Apart from admission and trading, the Exchange offers a comprehensive range of back–office services including maintenance of share and bond registers, clearing and settlement and custody services through its Central Securities Depository (CSD) which is situated in-house. It also has a link with Clearstream Banking in Frankfurt, Germany and in Luxembourg facilitating international access.
In 2013, the Exchange achieved Designated Offshore Securities Market status by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission complementing the HM Revenue and Customs recognition that had been obtained from the UK authorities in 2005.
The MSE is a member of: World Federation of Exchanges (WFE), Federation of European Securities Exchanges (FESE), European Central Securities Depositories Association (ECSDA), International Organisation of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) and Association of National Numbering Agencies (ANNA)
The MSE's market capitalization is $4.97 billion adjusted US dollars as of March 2018.
Since 1999, the Exchange is located in the former Garrison Chapel building in Castille Square- an iconic building built in 1857 on the designs of T. M. Ellis- close to the Office of the Prime Minister at Auberge de Castille and the Upper Barrakka Gardens.
Phone: +356 21 244 051
Fax: +356 25 696 316
E-mail: borza [at] borzamalta.com.mt
Address: Garrison Chapel, Castille Place, Valletta VLT 1063, Malta